Thursday, June 10, 2010

"I'll see you in Heaven..."


G'day Mates!

Just so you know... They do call their friends "mates", and some people do actually say "G'day" when greeting someone :)

It is Friday here in Armidale, and the weather is freezing with a forecast for cloudy skies. Not the prettiest day I have seen here, but I won't complain.

Yesterday we had our last missions/apologetics meeting with one of the staff, Stephen George, and it was the last time we were going to see him. The staff at St. Marks Chapel has been nothing but gracious to us since we have gotten here. They have been a pantry for all of our foods, they have provided us with people to connect us to the different colleges, they have drove us around whenever we have needed it, and they have been nothing but a constant encouragement. Talk about seeing the Body of Christ at it's fullest. It is so neat to see believers here living out the gospel before my eyes. Just months ago I had no idea what Armidale was and where it could possibly be, and here God has shown me that He is at work in places my eyes may not be open to yet. I just imagine all the cities in the world I have never heard of... God, completing the promise he made to us, is faithfully working His way through the world and bringing people to Himself. He doesn't need me- but He wants to use me.

After offering up encouragement to us for our time here, Stephen ended with the short phrase- "I'll see you in Heaven..." It really just hit me. I won't lie, I got somewhat teary-eyed, but really. He meant it. And it's true. So often I throw around the word Heaven, and I really do get excited that my friends, these Believers in Christ who encourage me in so much, will be by my side in Heaven one day. My heart just felt overwhelmed with joy. God's world is huge- full of people who know Him, and full of people who don't, but one day- these believers who labored beside me, and fought the good fight of faith... They will be there with me, seeing God in ALL His Glory, in full satisfaction and contentment. Isn't that such a beautiful thing to look forward to? I know I am.

We have been here for so long now I feel like I really live here. I walk around Robb and find myself talking to a good bit of the people I pass by, and I really feel a part of the college there. The relationships I have built with these people I now cherish. At first, it was hard to see that there was actually potential of building deeper relationships with these people in such a short amount of time, but God has blown me away in that. He has helped me to be burdened and just love those people around me. I have found that it is very much a part of the Australian culture to deal with things on your own. People don't talk deeply about other things, and when something hard is going on in their life, it is likely they will fight their battle alone. Being apart of the Body for around 2 years now, I can't imagine not having those people in my life to lean on, hold me accountable, and encourage me when I need it. And then not only that, but I can't imagine living life without the Lord and the comfort He gives. It has to be hard. Pray that over our last week and a half here, our friends hearts would be softened, and that they would confide in us enough just to share and know we are there to share those things with them.

Last Friday, the blokes on the team decided to leave us sweet little flowers on our doorstep to thank us for the breakfast we made them. It was very nice and encouraging that they thought of us... And what better way to butter us up than a flower and encouraging note. Such a great group of guys we have on our hands.


Wednesday afternoon we had our High Tea with some of the girls that attend United, Inc. (A Christian group on campus). It was a lot of fun, and delicious. The picture of Alicia and me above is at the George's house that afternoon. There were little cupcakes, and cute little tea sets. I tried my first Chai Tea Latte. It was okay, but I don't know... I just don't think I am a tea kind of person. I would much rather whip out a hot chocolate or hot milo... so delicious.

I have been reading a book for my personal development plan (I changed it...) and it is called "It's Not About Me" by Max Lucado. It is so good- has great analogies, and he adds personal humor too. I would definitely recommend it. Later on today I am going to add little bit more about the book, but I have to run to lunch... More details coming soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment